PeaceHealth is seeking a Bereavement Counselor - Hospice for a Full Time, 1.00 FTE, Day position.
Must be fully vaccinated or exempted for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date. PeaceHealth has a medical and religious exemption request process for those that are unable to receive the COVID-19 primary vaccine series due medical/religious reasons.
Provide grief counseling to adults and/or children, adolescents and their families. Provide education or direct assistance to schools and the community. Make referrals as appropriate and provide training/oversight for volunteer facilitators.
Details of the position
- Provide counseling to include facilitating support groups for adults and/or children, adolescents and their families. Complete direct interviews for intake with families for placement purposes and make referrals to community resources as appropriate. Provides individual counseling as appropriate. Counsel with Hospice family for emotional support and grief and bereavement issues in private residence and/or at inpatient hospice.
- Act as counseling resource by providing crisis intervention/debriefings to community organizations as needed. Assist with the provision of initial and ongoing education for staff, volunteers and the community. Provide clinical supervision of assigned bereavement groups.
- Effectively communicate by establishing and maintaining open, effective communications and utilizing correct channels of communication. Utilize correct channels of communication and recognized organization communication standard. Participate in problem-solving and communicate with co-workers regarding services.
- Perform general duties to include maintaining a working knowledge of infection control, risk management and emergency preparedness plans. Actively participate in performance improvement initiatives. Demonstrate knowledge of hospital, interdepartmental and unit goals, standards and operations. Maintain and update knowledge of and is responsive to the laws and regulations which affect his/her practice.
- May establish, coordinate and implement bereavement follow-up procedures including delivery of letters, cards, etc. to families; quarterly mailings to bereaved families; assessing bereavement support needs and triage appropriately; carry a case load of at-risk families.
- May recruit, train, supervise and evaluate bereavement volunteers in collaboration with the Volunteer Coordinator. May train volunteers and staff in the area of bereavement and orient all new staff to bereavement protocol.
- May facilitate monthly and annual commemorative services for staff, Hospice families, and the community at large including a Hospice fundraiser.
- May coordinate and/or facilitate all community-wide bereavement support groups. May offer bereavement support community wide as time and need indicate. May market Bereavement Support Groups and other Bereavement support services to the community.
- Maintains an active role in the Hospice Interdisciplinary Team.
- Performs other duties as assigned
What you bring
- Master’s degree in social work, counseling or related field plus specialized training in grief counseling issues specific to children, adolescents and/or adults.
- OR State LCSW, CSWA, or QMHP eligible; license required within 6 months of hire.
- Valid driver's license with an automobile that is insured to state regulations and is in good running order.
- Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Providers required upon hire.
- Minimum one year of experience which includes working with adults and/or children, adolescents, and families and/or working with grief issues (or equivalent combination of education and/or experience)
For a full description of the position, or for questions, please contact Moussa Sangare at [email protected]
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.