PeaceHealth is seeking a Lab Assistant Technical for a Full Time, 1.00 FTE, Variable position. Hourly compensation is $19.41 - $33.2; hiring rate dependent on qualifications, professional experience, and/or work location.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
Performs laboratory testing and support services across the major areas of the laboratory. Performs moderate to high complexity laboratory procedures, as defined by CLIA, according to standard operating procedures. This testing requires the limited exercise of independent judgment and interpretation and is performed under the supervision of a medical technologist or department supervisor.
Under the directions of a qualified medical technologist, the technician may perform a variety of the following job functions:
- Perform phlebotomy and specimen processing as necessary.
- Follows established procedures for collecting and processing biological specimens for analysis.
- Performs moderate complexity or waived tests, as assigned. Recognizes abnormal results and follows up as defined in standard operating procedures.
- Operates instruments as assigned. Recognizes equipment malfunctions and notifies appropriate technical personnel.
- Performs routine quality control and maintains accurate records. Recognizes out-of-control results and notifies technical personnel.
- Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and takes appropriate action according to predetermined protocols.
- Assists in the training of new caregivers and students.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What You Will Bring
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Associates or Bachelor of Science degree preferred
- Clinical Laboratory experience preferred
- Phlebotomy training or experience preferred for all critical access locations. (See community specific notes.)
- Working knowledge of specimen collection, preparation, and test requirements and factors affecting test interpretation in responding to inquiries
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Mathematical ability to calculate fractions, percentages, ratios, proportion measurements and apply practical algebra
- General understanding of laboratory equipment to calibrate and do minor repairs
- Not required in Oregon or Alaska
COMMUNITY/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
University District Lab, Cottage Grove Lab, Florence Lab, United General Medical Center, Peace Island Medical Center and Ketchikan:
- Six months phlebotomy experience preferred or completion of phlebotomy program preferred
- Works in a clinical laboratory or hospital setting. Continuous (67 - 100%) exposure to moderate noise level. The ability to frequently (34-66 %) stand, walk or sit is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) handling of small objects up to 10 pounds including lifting and carrying is required. Intermittent (1-5%) lifting and carrying of up to 45 pounds is required. Must have good manual dexterity of both hands and employ fine hand movements to continuously (67 - 100%) manipulate instruments, computer terminal keyboards and other items. Good corrected vision and the ability to do near point work at varying distances from the eye is required. The ability to identify and distinguish colors is required. Tasks involve potential for exposure to blood or body fluids containing blood, or other potentially infectious materials, and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) use of clinical laboratory reagents and chemicals is required.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.
PeaceHealth is committed to the overall wellbeing of our caregivers: physical, emotional, financial, social, and spiritual. We offer caregivers a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Some of the many benefits included in this package are full medical/dental/vision coverage; 403b retirement plan employer base and matching contributions; paid time off; employer-paid life and disability insurance with additional buyup coverage options; tuition and continuing education reimbursement; wellness benefits, and expanded EAP and mental health program.