PeaceHealth is seeking a Medical Technologist - Laboratory for a Full Time, 0.90 FTE, Night position. Hourly compensation starts at $33.46, more depending on experience.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
Responsible for performing complex laboratory procedures and tests in areas such as blood bank, chemistry, hematology, immunology, and microbiology, using established protocols and procedures. Monitors, screens, and troubleshoots devices, tests and procedures, recognizing anomalies, and making corrections to ensure quality.
- Evaluates specimens for testing, utilizes appropriate criteria and upholds established performance standards. Applies established criteria for testing, and analysis of entire process from preparation, conducting test, functioning of devices and procedures to ensure quality test results. Performs waived, moderate and high complexity laboratory tests.
- Maintains equipment and tools; performs quality assurance testing, routine calibration and ensures optimal performance.
- May assist Technical Specialist or Supervisor with the evaluations of new methods and and procedures.
- Consults with clinicians, supervisor and other caregivers as appropriate on test results, requirements and testing protocols.
- Gives direction and guidance to phlebotomy and specimen management teams, may assist with orientation of new caregivers and students, and accesses competencies if incumbent has at least 4 years experience for moderate complexity testing, and 1 year of experience for high complexity testing.
- Maintains appropriate records for specimens, tests and data. Utilizes computer systems in reporting and documenting analysis.
- Participates in department in-services and continuing education programs, attending lectures, workshops and video presentation as required. Participates in required competency assessment and proficiency testing activities. Provides (CAP, HIPAA, etc) compliance support.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors degree in Medical Technology or Clinical Laboratory Science OR
- Bachelors degree in Chemistry, Biological Science or an equivalent related science. Preference will be given to candidates who have completed an accredited laboratory training program.
- Program or institution must be accredited by a regional or national accreditation agency
- 2 years of clinical experience performing high complexity testing in a clinical laboratory department preferred.
- New graduates will be considered.
- Current Medical Technologist or discipline specific certification, ASCP or equivalent (AMT, AAB) is required within one year from date of hire.
- Accepted certification for non-US citizens includes ASCPi, AMT, or CSMLS.
- Ability to recognize and ensure validity of abnormal patient and/or QC results for testing.
- Working knowledge of specimen collection, preparation, and test requirements and factors affecting test interpretation in responding to inquiries
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office programs
- Moderate lifting up to 35 pounds
- Mathematical ability to calculate fractions, percentages, ratios, proportion measurements and apply practical algebra
- General understanding of laboratory equipment to calibrate and do minor repairs
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
- Shares on-call duties
- Phlebotomy may be required. Must be certified with Washington State Department of Health for Medical Assistant Phlebotomist before performing phlebotomy.
Works in a clinical laboratory or hospital setting. Intermittently (1-5% of the time) works in other office, client and conference facility environments. Continuous (67 - 100%) exposure to moderate noise level. The ability to frequently (34-66 %) stand, walk or sit is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) handling of small objects up to 10 pounds including lifting and carrying is required. Intermittent (1-5%) lifting and carrying of up to 45 pounds is required. Must have good manual dexterity of both hands and employ fine hand movements to continuously (67 - 100%) manipulate instruments, computer terminal keyboards and other items. Good corrected vision and the ability to do near point work at varying distances from the eye is required. The ability to identify and distinguish colors is required. Tasks involve potential for exposure to blood or body fluids containing blood, or other potentially infectious materials, and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) use of clinical laboratory reagents and chemicals is required.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.