PeaceHealth is seeking a Chaplain Associate - Spiritual Care for a Per Diem/Relief, 0.00 FTE, Variable position. Hourly compensation starts at $23.42, more depending on experience.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
Provides direct spiritual care for patients, family members, and, as needed, PeaceHealth caregivers. Demonstrates a spiritual presence to all persons which is compassionate, accepting, respectful, and sensitive. An associate chaplain works in situations appropriate to their essential job functions and scope of practice as a member of the healthcare team and with other healthcare professionals in augmenting the work of the Spiritual Care Department. Demonstrates the mission, values, and vision of PeaceHealth.
- Assists people to move through immediate and emerging crises/trauma.
- Assists others as they seek to make meaning during crises and as they try to integrate their personal, spiritual, and health care journeys. Facilitates theological reflection as appropriate.
- Provides and documents interventions and interactions; requests follow up by other chaplains/disciplines as appropriate.
- Offers holistic spiritual care and counsel to address the spiritual, psychological, social and physical needs of the patients, families and health care team.
- Assists others in ethical decision making, which may include Advance Care Planning, consistent with their values and belief system and in accordance with the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Healthcare Services (ERDs).
- Provides notification, consultation, and support for patients and families wishing their faith community leaders to be notified and involved in their care
- Responds to traumas, codes, emergency requests or other needs in a timely manner consistent with local response time policy.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Theological education appropriate for chaplaincy is required.
- Masters level from an accredited university or seminary is preferred.
- One unit of ACPE Certified CPE (Clinical Pastoral Education) required or completion of one unit of ACPE certified CPE within one year of hire.
- Minimum of one-year health care chaplaincy (or equivalent setting) experience preferred.
- Acute care experience preferred.
- Current Basic Life Support certification is required for hospice chaplains.
- Basic Life Support certification is preferred for all other chaplains.
- Endorsement from or attestation of good standing in a faith tradition required.
- Recognizes limits of skills and seeks next level of support from Spiritual Care director/manager or designated chaplain.
- Ability to recognize patients needing assistance with medical decision making and refer them to staff chaplain, ethicist, or physician as appropriate and consistent with the patient’s values and beliefs.
- Familiarity with the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services.
- Ability to appropriately articulate his/her own spiritual perspective and integration while remaining respectful of the perspective of others.
- Able to integrate experience and reflection into pastoral ministry.
- Ability to interact with faith community leaders of diverse denominations and faith traditions.
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of patients who have varying physical, emotional, cultural, and religious/spiritual needs which challenge their ability to bring meaning to their experiences as a patient.
- Preference for those with crisis counseling skills and/or experience required for addressing and processing trauma situations.
- Demonstrates ongoing personal, professional, and spiritual growth through conversation or consultation with other chaplains or members of an ecclesiastical body. Understands the value of debriefing and support for the sacred work of chaplaincy.
- Computer literate and proficient in MS Office; Electronic Medical Record experience preferred.
- Commitment to continuing education.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.