PeaceHealth is seeking a Lab Assistant - Inpatient Phlebotomy for a Full Time, 1.00 FTE, Night position.
Hourly compensation is $17.51 - $30.87; hiring rate dependent on qualifications and professional experience and/or terms of Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one opening on this posting.
Works collaboratively with all healthcare team members toward the best outcomes for the patient and the organization. Performs phlebotomy services, specimen collection/handling, utilize knowledge of department procedures and computerized Lab Information Systems (LIS), and support patients with information and direction utilizing laboratory services. Assists lab staff with delivering patient care.
- Perform venipuncture and capillary collection on patients of all ages.
- Performs patient identification, collects, and labels specimens for requested testing, processes specimen according to established guidelines and completes documentation for the specimen.
- Adheres to all isolation guidelines and procedures
- Utilizes LIS to perform technical and non-technical procedures required to collect, process, and submit specimens.
- Receives and makes telephone calls and uses computer terminal and reference guides to provide information regarding specimen requirements and other clinical requests.
- Performs Point of Care testing as assigned. Recognizes abnormal results and follows up as defined in standard operating procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS (required unless otherwise noted)
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Phlebotomy training required. Phlebotomy experience preferred.
- WA State: Medical Assistant – Phlebotomy license is required before onboarding.
- Able to approach, communicate and positively interact with patients and health care professionals while performing their duties, frequently under stressful conditions.
- Able to work without supervision but knows when to consult with supervisory personnel for assistance in determining appropriate actions.
- Able to use the electronic laboratory information system. Must perform work activities in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Able to recognize the various levels of service (routine to critical) demanded of the laboratory and prioritize work and adjust working style to accommodate said demands.
- Able to prioritize effectively and manage multiple tasks at one time.
- Must be able to occasionally (6 - 33%) lift up to 20 pounds. Must have the ability to tolerate walking frequently (34 - 66%) up to ten miles per day and standing frequently (34 - 66%) on a variety of surfaces including linoleum covered concrete floor.
- Must have the ability during phlebotomy procedures to frequently (34 - 66 %) bend and twist with loads less than ten pounds. Must have the ability during phlebotomy procedures to intermittently (1 - 5%) kneel and squat with loads under ten pounds. Employs hand dexterity in manipulating blood draws, computer keyboards and writing instruments. Works indoors at clinical laboratory, medical office, and hospital settings.
- Continuous (67 - 100%) potential exposure to bio-hazardous materials and infectious diseases requires the use of personal protective equipment including but not limited to medical exam gloves. Intermittently (1 - 5%) works in isolation areas requiring observance of additional precautions including but not limited to the wearing of goggles, gowns, and respirators. Occasionally (6 - 33%) works with laboratory reagents, disinfectants, and other chemicals. Must comply with fingernail policy and may not wear artificial nails at work.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
PeaceHealth is committed to the overall wellbeing of our caregivers: physical, emotional, financial, social, and spiritual. We offer caregivers a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Some of the many benefits included in this package are full medical/dental/vision coverage; 403b retirement plan employer base and matching contributions; paid time off; employer-paid life and disability insurance with additional buyup coverage options; tuition and continuing education reimbursement; wellness benefits, and expanded EAP and mental health program.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.