PeaceHealth is seeking a Coder II - Hospital Coding for a Full Time, 1.00 FTE, Variable position. Hourly compensation is $29.48 – $44.22; hiring rate dependent on qualifications and professional experience.
This position will be performed fully remote. If telecommuting, PeaceHealth will provide the caregiver with necessary computer equipment. It is the responsibility of the caregiver to provide Internet access.
***Must reside in Washington, Oregon, Texas or Alaska.***
Responsible for advanced coding of inpatient, observation, emergency room and ambulatory surgery records, including the assignment of ICD-10-CM diagnosis and procedure codes, and CPT4 procedural codes, as well as the abstraction of clinical information for hospital services.
- Reviews the medical record to assure specificity of diagnoses and procedures for compliant code assignment, providing data and accurate/optimal reimbursement for the provision of hospital services.
- Abstracts information from medical records following established methods and procedures.
- Identifies problem documents and works with submitting departments to correct errors.
- Responds to edits both during and after the coding process.
- May enter charge information when appropriate.
- Collaborates with clinical documentation integrity nurses and physicians to assure accurate documentation to enhance data capture and reimbursement.
- Utilizes computer assisted coding software following very highly defined processes.
- Provides coding across multiple patient types.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of a formal coding program or combination of education and experience that provides the caregiver with the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the job required.
- Completion of a college based or AAPC/AHIMA approved coding education program strongly preferred.
- Minimum three years of direct work experience in inpatient acute care, hospital-based coding and abstracting for IPPS reimbursement or ambulatory surgery coding; the use of ICD-10-CM and CPT-4 coding systems is required.
- Formal training or college coursework from a medical coding accredited school, in lieu of experience may be considered.
- Knowledge of acute care and critical access reimbursement requirements is preferred.
- AHIMA/AAPC recognized credential is required: RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CPC, or CPC-H.
- Ability to maneuver through multiple computer applications including encoders, abstracting, groupers, EMR and MS Office applications including Excel and Word required.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required.
- Ability to understand and carry out instructions furnished in written, verbal or diagram form.
- Demonstrated good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Able to work in an independent and/or remote environment.
- 3M computer assisted coding experience preferred.
- Epic EMR experience preferred.
- Work requires normal amounts of physical effort from 34 to 65% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 30 lbs. or less.
- Work is performed under normal working conditions with adequate lighting and ventilation. extended periods of sitting while reviewing records and entering clinical data into a computer monitor where noise level is moderate.
- Duties require the ability to concentrate or pay close attention to detail (more than 65% of work time).
PeaceHealth is committed to the overall wellbeing of our caregivers: physical, emotional, financial, social, and spiritual. We offer caregivers a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Some of the many benefits included in this package are full medical/dental/vision coverage; 403b retirement plan employer base and matching contributions; paid time off; employer-paid life and disability insurance with additional buyup coverage options; tuition and continuing education reimbursement; wellness benefits, and expanded EAP and mental health program.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.