Communications Operator is a Part Time position, 0.80 FTE, Variable position. Hourly compensation is $16.58 – $24.96; hiring rate dependent on qualifications and professional experience.
This position is responsible facilitating communications through appropriate operation of one or all of the following: the telephone console (switchboard); physician answering service; overhead paging; two-way radios; and pager system.
Details of the Position:
- Operate a telephone console (switchboard), directing incoming operator-assisted and outgoing calls to appropriate individual, departments, and outside contacts; respond to emergency codes; dispatch security; provide information to people in lobby. May also be required to notify by overhead, two-way radio and beeper system. Overhead paging as requested.
- Extend and respond appropriately to all calls, codes, alarm panels and disaster plans wherever needed.
- May be required to operation physician’s answering service and handle trouble reports by working directly with the physicians.
- Additional duties may include: announcements as needed, assisting with directories, keying in daily telephone statistics, saying the evening prayer, announcing visiting hours are over, receiving house census from nursing supervisors, other routine clerical/data entry tasks as requested.
- Report status of console operation to relief when leaving switchboard, including pertinent information about hospital staff and events. Report system trouble to telephone technician as directed.
- Provide back-up assistance to other departments as directed.
- Operate other communication and emergency systems as required.
- Dispatches requests for multiple services as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
What You Bring:
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Experience working in a medical office/hospital setting preferred.
- Previous operator or switchboard and clerical experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills including high degree of courtesy.
- Ability to maintain professional level of communication in a high stress fast paced environment.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Ability to multi-task with strong organizational skills.
- Proficient computer/keyboarding skills required.
- Ability to make decisions without direct supervision.
- Good spelling and penmanship.
PeaceHealth is committed to the overall wellbeing of our caregivers: physical, emotional, financial, social, and spiritual. We offer caregivers a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Some of the many benefits included in this package are full medical/dental/vision coverage; 403b retirement plan employer base and matching contributions; paid time off; employer-paid life and disability insurance with additional buyup coverage options; tuition and continuing education reimbursement; wellness benefits, and expanded EAP and mental health program.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.