PeaceHealth is seeking a Pathologists Assistant for a Full Time, 1.00 FTE, Day position. The general salary range for this job opening at PeaceHealth is $43.16 – $64.75. The actual hiring rate is dependent upon several factors, including but not limited to, the job/position responsibilities, location, terms of the applicable collective bargaining agreement, education, training, work experience, seniority, work performance, etc.
Applies principles and techniques related to autopsy pathology, surgical pathology, and histopathology within the scope of practice.
- Efficiently performs human surgical specimen examination; assists in tissue preparation for frozen section examinations, immunocytochemistry assays and electron microscopy (when required); performs appropriate medical photography of gross specimens.
- Ensures appropriate procedure documentation and document management; performs specimen accessioning utilizing anatomic pathology computer system as necessary.
- Performs autopsy duties to include: external examination, in situ organ inspection, evisceration and complete organ block dissection; dictates autopsy documentation; selects and submits tissue for microscopic exam; ensures proper restoration of body for acceptable release to funeral director.
- Maintains morgue and gross room to include: work environment, equipment and supplies.
- Assists, initiates and/or implements certain specialized procedures and/or research projects as assigned by the Director; performs lead role in QA activities for Anatomic Pathology; participates as lab liaison on relevant teams, e.g. tumor board, breast conference, morbidity and mortality, etc.
- May perform CAP (College of American Pathologists) compliance duties to include: periodic record reviews; equipment and test validation; development and maintenance of policy, procedure and guidance documents; proficiency testing and competency management; CAP inspection preparation, assessment and follow up; and technical and procedural advisement and referral.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree in Health Science or equivalent
- Specialized training as pathology assistant through an accredited program or American Society of Clinical Pathologists Board of Govenors (ASCP BOR) Certification required.
- Minimum of 1 year experience (or combination of education and/or experience)
- American Association of Pathologist Assistant (AAPA) and/or American Society of Clinical Pathologists Board of Govenors (ASCP BOR) Certification required within 18 months of hire.
- Good written and verbal communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate clinical information
- Working knowledge of anatomy, surgical pathology procedures and protocols and disease process
- Strong analysis/problem solving skills
- Working knowledge of computer systems
- Works in a clinical laboratory setting. Continuous (67 - 100% of the time) exposure to moderate noise level.
- Tasks involve potential for exposure to blood, body fluids containing blood, or other types of patient samples and the continuous (67 - 100%) use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required.
- The ability to frequently (34 - 66 %) stand, walk or sit is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) handling of small objects up to 10 pounds including lifting and carrying required. Occasional (6-33%) lifting and carrying of up to 20 pounds required.
- Intermittent (1 -5%) lifting of up to 35 pounds required. Frequent (34-66 %) use of clinical laboratory reagents and chemicals required. Must have good manual dexterity of one or both hands.
- Must be able to perform fine hand movements to manipulate samples, lab equipment and instruments, keyboards and other items. Requires good corrected vision, the ability to do near point, or close up, work at varying distances from the eye. Requires flexibility of various work assignments with frequent requests to move from one workstation to the next.
PeaceHealth is committed to the overall wellbeing of our caregivers: physical, emotional, financial, social, and spiritual. We offer caregivers a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Some of the many benefits included in this package are full medical/dental/vision coverage; 403b retirement plan employer base and matching contributions; paid time off; employer-paid life and disability insurance with additional buyup coverage options; tuition and continuing education reimbursement; wellness benefits, and expanded EAP and mental health program.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.
PeaceHealth requires a completed Primary Vaccine Series (e.g., 2 dose monovalent Pfizer, Moderna or Novavax series or 1 dose J&J vaccine series) or be Up to Date (receiving the most recent Pfizer/Moderna bivalent vaccine/booster) for COVID-19 vaccination prior to their start date. PeaceHealth has a medical and religious exemption request process for those that are unable to receive the COVID-19 primary vaccine series due to medical/religious reasons. For caregivers that will be working in Oregon there is a personal vaccine exemption form that may be requested.