PeaceHealth is seeking a Lab Assistant - Inpatient Phlebotomy for a Full Time, 1.00 FTE, Day position. The general salary range for this job opening at PeaceHealth is $17.51 – $31.79. The actual hiring rate is dependent upon several factors, including but not limited to, the job/position responsibilities, location, terms of the applicable collective bargaining agreement, education, training, work experience, seniority, work performance, etc.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one opening on this posting.
Works collaboratively with all healthcare team members toward the best outcomes for the patient and the organization. May perform phlebotomy services, specimen collection/handling, utilize knowledge of department procedures and computerized Lab Information Systems (LIS), and support patients with information and direction utilizing laboratory services. Assists lab staff with delivering patient care, distributing lab results and reports, and operation of laboratory equipment.
- Prepares, delivers, and picks up items in accordance with health and safety regulations and laboratory policies to ensure specimen integrity, quality patient care, and caregiver safety.
- Collects and labels specimens for requested testing, processes specimen according to established guidelines and completes documentation for the specimen.
- Performs data entry of patient demographics and tests ordered. Performs all paperwork, technical, and nontechnical procedures required to process and submit specimens.
- Receives, handles, sorts, processes, or packages specimens.
- Receives and makes telephone calls and uses computer terminal and reference guides to provide information and answer questions from clients and patients, regarding specimen requirements, test results and other client requests.
- Performs waived testing as assigned. Recognizes abnormal results and follows up as defined in standard operating procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma Preferred: or equivalent
- Required: Phlebotomy training or experience may be required or preferred for some positions and
- Preferred: Prior clinical laboratory experience
- Required Upon Hire: Drivers License Valid driver's license for driving positions.
- Able to approach, communicate and positively interact with patients and health care professionals while performing their duties, frequently under stressful conditions. (Required)
- Able to work without supervision but know when to consult with supervisory personnel for assistance in determining appropriate actions. (Required)
- Able to use the electronic laboratory information system. Must perform work activities in accordance with established policies and procedures. (Required)
- Able to recognize the various levels of service (routine to critical) demanded of the laboratory and prioritize work and adjust working style to accommodate said demands. (Required)
- Able to prioritize effectively and manage multiple tasks at one time. (Required)
Department / Location Specific Notes
Lab Assistant - Anatomic Pathology
- Prior laboratory experience in relation to anatomy/physiology, specimen processing preferred.
Lab Assistant – Phlebotomist
- Following established standards and practices, the Phlebotomist instructs patients in the procedure for collection of specimens, collects specimens and performs simple laboratory procedures.
Lab Assistant-Phlebotomist, RiverBend Hospital
- Six months phlebotomy experience required OR proof of completion of phlebotomy training program.
Lab Assistant – Specimen Processor
- Receives, processes, and distributes specimens to technical departments. Prepares specimens and forms for testing at the laboratory and for transport to external reference laboratories.
Washington State License/Certification requirements:
- WA State: Medical Assistant – Phlebotomy Certification is either required at the time of hire or the application must be submitted within 14 days of hire with the active credential in place within 180 days of hire.
- Pasco, Washington – bilingual in English and Spanish required.
- Patient handling no greater than 35 lbs. without the use of assistive equipment and/or devices (NIOSH).
- Ability to move around area with occasional sitting.
- Fine motor skills to be able to grasp and control medical equipment, frequently.
- Lift/Carry: Frequently up to 5 lbs.
- Push/Pull: Frequently up to 10 lbs. force.
- Squat/ kneel occasionally.
- Exposure to biohazard, body fluids and airborne particles.
- Exposure to toxic or caustic chemicals.
- Vision and hearing required within normal limits (glasses, contacts, hearing aids permitted).
- Ability to communicate and exchange accurate information.
PeaceHealth is committed to the overall wellbeing of our caregivers: physical, emotional, financial, social, and spiritual. We offer caregivers a competitive and comprehensive total rewards package. Some of the many benefits included in this package are full medical/dental/vision coverage; 403b retirement plan employer base and matching contributions; paid time off; employer-paid life and disability insurance with additional buyup coverage options; tuition and continuing education reimbursement; wellness benefits, and expanded EAP and mental health program.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.
PeaceHealth requires a completed Primary Vaccine Series (e.g., 2 dose monovalent Pfizer, Moderna or Novavax series or 1 dose J&J vaccine series) or be Up to Date (receiving the most recent Pfizer/Moderna bivalent vaccine/booster) for COVID-19 vaccination prior to their start date. PeaceHealth has a medical and religious exemption request process for those that are unable to receive the COVID-19 primary vaccine series due to medical/religious reasons. For caregivers that will be working in Oregon there is a personal vaccine exemption form that may be requested.