PeaceHealth is seeking a Communications Operator - Switchboard for a Full Time, Variable position. Hourly compensation starts at $15.63, more depending on experience.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one opening on this posting.
This position is responsible facilitating communications through appropriate operation of one or all of the following: the telephone console (switchboard); physician answering service; overhead paging; two-way radios; and pager system.
- Operate a telephone console (switchboard), directing incoming operator-assisted and outgoing calls to appropriate individual, departments and outside contacts; respond to emergency codes; dispatch security; provide information to people in lobby. May also be required to notify by overhead, two-way radio and beeper system. Overhead paging as requested.
- Extend and respond appropriately to all calls, codes, alarm panels and disaster plans wherever needed.
- May be required to operation physician’s answering service and handle trouble reports by working directly with the physicians.
- Additional duties may include: announcements as needed, assisting with directories, keying in daily telephone statistics, saying the evening prayer, announcing visiting hours are over, receiving house census from nursing supervisors, other routine clerical/data entry tasks as requested.
- Report status of console operation to relief when leaving switchboard, including pertinent information about hospital staff and events. Report system trouble to telephone technician as directed.
- Provide back-up assistance to other departments as directed.
- Operate other communication and emergency systems as required.
- Dispatches requests for multiple services as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Experience working in a medical office/hospital setting preferred. Previous operator or switchboard and clerical experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills including high degree of courtesy
- Ability to maintain professional level of communication in a high stress fast paced environment
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task with strong organizational skills
- Proficient computer/keyboarding skills required.
- Ability to make decisions without direct supervision
- Good spelling and penmanship
PHSW PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires fairly light physical exertion up to 33% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 10 lbs. or less.
- Work is performed under normal working conditions with adequate lighting and ventilation.
- Job duties frequently require intense concentration and attention to detail (34-65% of work time).
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.