PeaceHealth is seeking a Emergency Department Technician for a Full Time, Night position. Hourly compensation starts at $17.96, more depending on experience.
Provides basic clinical support as delegated by the Emergency Department physician and works under direct supervision of the charge nurse in the Emergency Department to assist in the smooth functioning of the department by performing essential duties. Contributes toward quality patient care and achievement of the PeaceHealth and St. John Medical Center mission and values.
Directly responsible to the Charge Nurse on duty and supervised by RN and Manager.
Direct Patient Care:
- Assists other team members in implementing plan of care by performing common procedures and tasks and documenting appropriately.Accomplishes assignments in an efficient and courteous manner.When directed, may apply cardiac monitor, oxygen and restraints.
- Provides positive/friendly customer service to patients/visitors/families/co-workers.
- Greets, identifies and assists patients and visitors arriving to the Emergency Department area to obtain medical intervention.
- Assists with patient care and treatments including providing treatment supplies when needed, application of sterile dressings, restrain procedures, immobilization of extremities, cast and splint applications and documents per protocol.
- Performs basic patient observation skills and reports significant changes in patient condition to the appropriate team member.
- Maintains adequate supplies in each patient care area and assures that adequate stock is available. Retrieves equipment needed for patient care.
- Performs clerical and communication functions to support departmental operations and patient care. May assist unit coordinator as directed by charge nurse. May include errands required by department.
- Follows correct procedure for proper handling, disassembling and cleaning of equipment.
- Responds to patients’ call lights and reports patient’s requests to the primary nurse/charge nurse or physician, as appropriate.
Indirect Patient Support:
- Performs duties/tasks as assigned by nurses and/or physicians.
- Participates as team member during disaster activities.
- Cleans patient care area post patient discharge and sets up for new patient arrival. Checks patient care area, waiting area, employee lounge and nurses station for neatness, cleanliness and safety.
- Assists as needed with order entry of physician orders, entering charges and daily paperwork.
- Assures stock levels of department supplies are at PAR level and stored appropriately in patient rooms and storage area.
- Assists Stores Clerk in ordering necessary stock items from Stores and Central Supply. Coordinates special supply orders with Emergency Department Manager or designee.
- Assumes responsibility for keeping hallway and patient rooms free of clutter.
- Attends department staff meetings and in-services.
- Submits maintenance repair requests to Emergency Department Manager or designee.
- Assists with transportation of patients as needed, which includes, but is not limited to x-ray, surgery, critical care, medical beds and vehicles.
- Responsible for running errands, taking specimens to the laboratory, picking up items from Central Supply and locating equipment.
- Assumes responsibility for answering phones and HEAR radio as needed.
- Specific Clerical Duties:
- Performs non-clerical duties involved in admits, transfers and discharge of patients including assembly of chart and obtaining signatures.
- Assists with order entry as needed.
- Responsible for monitoring and maintaining refrigerator.
- Maintains patient confidentiality.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Successful completion of ED-specific training component within probationary period.
- Minimum of one year prior experience as a Certified or Registered Nursing Assistant or as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) is required.
- Prior acute care hospital experience is preferred.
- Previous ED experience is preferred.
- Knowledge of basic care procedures is required.
- Sufficient knowledge of English, spelling, and arithmetic to complete and compile reports, make out requisitions, maintain simple records and perform various clerical duties is required.
- Knowledge of medical and technical terms is required.
- State of Washington Nursing Assistant Certification is required (Note: employees hired prior to October 1, 1997 may qualify for this position with a Registered Nursing Assistant designation from the State of Washington).
- State of Washington Health Care Assistance certification Category A is required within six months of employment
- BLS for Healthcare Providers/CPR is required.
ST. JOHNS PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires moderate physical exertion more than 66% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 50 lbs. or less.
- Work requires frequent exposure to minor cold, heat, poor ventilation or sharp instruments.
- Reasonably anticipated exposure to blood and body fluids once per month or more.
- Job duties frequently require intense concentration and attention to detail (34-65% of work time).
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one opening on this posting.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.