PeaceHealth is seeking a Coder II - Cardiovascular Administration for a Part Time, Day position. Hourly compensation starts at $28.34, more depending on experience.
Responsible for advanced coding (inpatient, observation and ambulatory surgery records) and the assignment of ICD-10-CM and CPT4 procedural and diagnostic codes, MS-DRG’s, POA’s, and the abstraction of clinical information. Codes outpatient, series, and emergency medical records.
- Reviews the medical record to assure specificity of diagnoses and procedures for code assignment that is compliant and provides data and optimal reimbursement for hospital and/or professional charges.
- Researches and provides education to providers and staff regarding coding and compliance issues utilizing regulatory and medical informational resources.
- Abstracts information from medical records following established methods and procedures.
- Identifies problem documents and works with submitting departments to correct errors.
- Performs coding, abstracting, and documentation audits.
- Responds to other departments who use coded information, verifies codes and charges assigned by other departments for accuracy. May enter charge information when appropriate.
- Collaborates with clinical staff, documentation specialists, and physicians to assure accurate documentation to enhance hospital case mix index for data capture and reimbursement.
- Participates in cross regional teams to assist in development of forms and standardized processes and performs audit reviews as outlined by the PeaceHealth Coding Team standards and Organizational Integrity.
- Maintains communication and relationships with PFS billing and reimbursement staff and management regarding issues affecting coding and charge capture. Instructs coding staff as to regulatory updates.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of college-based coding program or AAPC, AHIMA approved program that included medical terminology, anatomy and physiology courses required.
- Current CPC-H, (Certified Coding Professional Hospital), CCS (Certified Coding Specialist),Certified Outpatient Coder (COC) , RHIT (Registered Health Information Technology) or RHIA (Registered Health Information Manager) required.
- Ability to maneuver through multiple computer applications including encoders, abstracting, groupers, EMR and MS Office applications including Excel and Word required.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills required.
- Ability to understand and carry out instructions furnished in written, verbal or diagram form.
- Demonstrated good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Good organizational skills and attention to detail.
Southwest – PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires normal amounts of physical effort from 34 to 65% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 30 lbs. or less.
- Work is performed under normal working conditions with adequate lighting and ventilation. Extended periods of sitting while reviewing records and entering clinical data into a computer monitor where noise level is moderate.
- Duties require the ability to concentrate or pay close attention to detail (more than 65% of work time).
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.