PeaceHealth is seeking a Manager Coding - Hospital Coding for a Full Time, Day position.
Remote - Incumbent must reside in Oregon, Washington, or Alaska.
Manages the daily operations of a designated coding team to ensure that diagnoses and procedures have been collected, coded and accurately reflected utilizing PeaceHealth coding and compliance regulations, as well as other legal or accreditation organization requirements. Develops and leads the team that carries out daily coding operations.
- Supervises caregivers involved in hospital coding to ensure timely and accurate coding of inpatient and outpatient records. Monitors quality and training of all coding caregivers.
- Manages staff hiring, evaluation, promotion, coaching, counseling, performance appraisals and other personnel-related actions.
- Develops, implements, and communicates appropriate compliance policies and procedures for evaluating input, coding and sequencing, and providing accurate data to support ICD and CPT coding. Resolves coding discrepancies with vendor management team.
- Monitors potential risk exposure related to coding practices; responds to non-compliance issues; participates in reviews with internal and/or external coding auditing organizations.
- Improves coding and documentation practices to compliantly optimize revenue capture. Assists in planning, developing, and controlling budgets, including personnel, capital equipment and operations.
- Participates in the development and deployment of educational programs regarding elements of coding compliance, such as documentation and accurate coding, for all appropriate personnel.
- Conducts trend analyses of coding and reimbursement profiles to identify patterns and variations requiring further investigation.
- Provides extensive support to caregivers in the use of and policies/procedures related to the use of 3M computer-assisted coding product.
- May manage the denials/appeals process for coding and clinical validation related to DRG downgrades.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of five years of medical coding experience required.
- Minimum of two years’ leadership experience required.
- AHIMA credential required: RHIA, RHIT, or CCS. OTHER SKILLS:
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to interact with all levels of department personnel, physicians, and individuals outside the System.
- Proficient with software applications that impact the medical coding functions.
- Thorough knowledge of medical coding using the ICD-10-CM and CPT4/HCPCS classification coding systems. Familiar with MS-DRG, APR-DRG and APC reimbursement systems.
- Advanced MS Office skills strongly preferred.
- Use of 3M CAC preferred.
- Experience with Epic EMR preferred.
- Work requires fairly light physical exertion from up to 65% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 30 lbs. or less.
- Work is performed under normal working conditions with adequate lighting and ventilation.
- Job duties frequently require intense concentration and attention to detail (up to 65% of work time).
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.