PeaceHealth is seeking a Behavioral Health Counselor/Social Work - Psychiatric Unit for a Per Diem/Relief, Variable position. Hourly compensation starts at $31.18, more depending on experience.
Responsible for identifying and interacting with mentally ill and psychosocially complex patients and families who are likely to benefit from mental health treatment or social work services and who meet high risk criteria. Responsible for coordination of discharge planning services for these patients in collaboration with RN Care Management and other members of the care team. May function as either BH Counselor or Social Work role depending on training, certification and setting.
- Provides mental health-focused care in a liaison role to non-psychiatric hospital care units, including the Emergency Department, through patient counseling, patient & family education and case management.
- Provides social work/case management services to mental health clients in psychiatric inpatient or day hospital settings.
- Works in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team to provide assessment, education, coping strategies and treatment planning to mental health consumers in a psychiatric day hospital, inpatient psychiatric or inpatient medical hospital setting.
- Identifies, plans and arranges for appropriate services necessary for psychiatric inpatient or psychiatric day hospital patients by applying a knowledge of services available in the community, state, and federal health regulations and admission, discharge and appropriate level of care. Coordinate effective planning and arranging for needed services upon discharge.
- Provides individual and group patient education and therapy, skills training and group activity therapy.
- Works as an integral member of the treatment team in the coordination of treatment and transition of care planning. Intervene by arranging community services, education and providing psychosocial support to prepare the patient and their family to manage their healthcare needs within the acute care setting and post discharge.
- Assesses and addresses both mental health and chemical dependency conditions. May perform risk assessments for suicidality and homicidality.
- Intervene by arranging services, education and providing psychosocial support to prepare the patient and their family to manage their healthcare needs within the acute care setting and post discharge.
- Serves as direct contact with community mental health agencies, including Designated Crisis Responders (DCR) for ITA evaluations. Serves as content expert on Revised Code of Washington (RCW) and Washington Administrative Code (WAC) chapters that pertain to mental health care and treatment, BHS procedures and BH ethical issues.
- Performs other duties as assigned, to include relief or surge support in other BHS programs or service lines.
QUALIFICATIONSRequired Unless Otherwise Stated
- Master’s degree in social work (MSW).
- In lieu of an MSW, the following qualifications and experience may be accepted:
- Master’s degree in counseling or related field with a minimum of two years’ work experience in a medical or healthcare setting, social service agency, or community organization focusing on health and/or welfare issues.
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field with a minimum of four years’ work experience in a medical or healthcare setting, social service agency, or community organization focusing on health and/or welfare issues.
- Minimum of two years employment in a healthcare setting or community agency dealing with health and/or welfare issues preferred. Minimum additional 2 years clinical mental health experience involving independent assessment and treatment highly preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of community health, welfare and social agencies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply age specific principles of growth and development and life stages to meet each patient’s needs. Demonstrated proficiency in social work and/or mental health practice.
- Must have WA State credential in order to practice, either Washington State Agency Affiliated Counselor Registration (CAAR) – applied for and received within 90 days of hire
- OR one of the other applicable Social Work, Therapist or Counselor licenses at the time of hire.
See how PeaceHealth is committed toInclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.