PeaceHealth is seeking a Infection Preventionist for a Full Time, Day position.
Assure that PeaceHealth implements best practices and processes to reduce and eliminate hospital acquired infections, incorporates appropriate vaccination and prevention strategies, and accurate methods of surveillance and reporting of infection rates. Accountable to achieve all PeaceHealth Infection Prevention goals. Ensures that PeaceHealth meets or exceeds all regulatory and accreditation requirements associated with infection control. Responsible, in collaboration with other health care team members, for the surveillance of healthcare acquired infections; educating caregivers about infection prevention; and developing policies and procedures to ensure rigorous infection prevention and control standards to reduce the risk of infection to patients, visitors, and caregivers. Assures compliance with external agency guidelines including accreditation bodies, OSHA, State Epidemiology and Public Health Department, and the Center for Disease Control (CDC) requirements.
- Implements operational strategies to prevent infections and prevent the spread of infectious illnesses. Develops and implements infection prevention strategies for patient care units and outpatient areas within scope of work. Participates in the development of the infection prevention program, and identification of action plans to reduce risk from hospital acquired infections.
- Develops and maintains a system standardized surveillance program, identifying patients who have health care acquired infections and communicable diseases.
- Provides expert resources on topics related to infection prevention.
- Regularly assesses the infection prevention practices of staff caring for patients. Provides education for caregivers on current infection prevention practices.
- Facilitates ongoing review and assists with updating and implementation of policies and procedures relating to infection prevention. Assures implementation of regulations as determined by federal, state, and accreditation agencies relative to infection prevention requirements.
- Collects, analyzes, and reports infection data based on risk assessment and regulatory requirements
- Identifies and implements infection prevention and control strategies re: hand hygiene, cleaning, disinfection and sterilization, risks associated with therapies and diagnostic procedures and devices, recalls, barrier precautions, use of patient care products and equipment, and the influx of patients with communicable diseases.
- Analyzes infections and may validate surveillance conducted by others.
- Consults with architects and facilities leaders for remodeling and new construction to assure designs meet or exceed infection prevention requirements and standards, and to prepare Infection Control Risk Assessment (ICRA) for work to be done
- Assesses the environment of care. Implements control measures as indicated.
- Participates in the development of a risk assessment and plan in conjunction with state and local public health resources, other infection preventionists and supervisors.
- Takes action as needed, in emergent situations to establish control and spread of outbreak.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, epidemiology, nursing (AA degree acceptable) or medical technology program (American Society for Clinical Pathology), or other related discipline, or equivalent combination of education and experience in the field of infectious disease and prevention.
- Master’s in Nursing, Public Health or Epidemiology preferred.
- Professional certification in infection control (CIC).If not certified, must develop plan to continue education and pass the national CIC exam within 2 ½ years of date of hire
- Maintain membership and active participation in the Association for Practitioners in Infection Control and Epidemiology (APIC) or SHEA.
- Proficient use of computers including MS Office applications
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to gather and organize data in a thorough and effective manner
- Excellent interpersonal skills
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
- Resides within the community or system office as needed. Able to travel as required to support community infection prevention needs.
SYSTEM SERVICES PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires normal physical exertion including sitting, standing and walking up to 33% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing up to 10 lbs.
- Work is performed under normal working conditions with adequate lighting and ventilation.
- Job duties frequently require intense concentration and attention to detail up to 80% of work time.
- Work may require use of PPE Including gloves, gown, mask and respirator.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.