PeaceHealth is seeking a Grossing Assistant - Pathology for a Full Time, Variable position. Hourly compensation starts at $20.18, more depending on experience.
Performs gross examination and dissection of histological specimens. Provides support of the gross area including the following tasks: order entry, maintenance of equipment, cleaning, and other related tasks.
- Performs gross dissection/dictation of surgical pathology tissue within their appropriate scope-of-care.
- Prepares frozen section and/or smear slides for intraoperative consultation.
- Assists the Pathologists in a professional manner when needed while grossing.
- Processes incoming specimens in a timely and efficient manner. Performs order entry of cytology and histology specimens using current LIS.
- Labels, print cassettes, and prepares specimens for grossing.
- Creates daily logs of the specimen loads.
- Documents and communicates all QA incidents appropriately.
- Prints histological slides.
- Assists Pathologists and the Pathologist Assistant on frozen section procedures.
- Cleans and maintains all equipment in area.
- Performs other related tasks as directed.
- An associate degree in in a chemical, physical, biological or clinical laboratory science from an accredited college or university.
- A bachelor’s degree is preferred.
- One year working in a laboratory or healthcare environment required.
- Anatomic pathology experience preferred.
- Typing and computer experience.
- Ability to comply with regulations and protocols for accurately grossing incoming specimens and staying within area of expertise.
- Ability to comply with established departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety and infection control procedures.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal).
- Ability to interact and build a team environment, collaboratively working together to solve issues.
- Ability to multitask and meet daily workload demands.
- Understanding and use of personal protective equipment and universal precautions.
- Ability to perform work with Integrity, maturity and dependability.
- Understanding of medical terminology.
- Understanding of arithmetic/algebra, basic anatomy and chemistry are beneficial.
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
- Laboratory training will require either completion of a clinical laboratory training program approved or accredited by the ABHES, NAACLA, or other organization approved by HHS OR at least 3 months documented laboratory training in each specialty in which the individual performs high complexity testing.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.