Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
PeaceHealth is seeking a Child Passenger Seat Technician for a Per Diem/Relief, Day position. Hourly compensation starts at $17.61, more depending on experience.
This position is responsible for the education of parents, caregivers, and staff on proper usage of car seats and safety restraints in vehicles. This position focuses on support services for clinical services including Mother/Baby, NICU, Pediatrics, and the Emergency Dept. and other areas as needed. This position does not provide direct patient care. This position improves the safety of the children we serve through Peace Health.
- Education and assistance as needed, on how to correctly secure children in appropriate child safety seats in multiple types of vehicles for families, parents, caregivers and others transporting children. Uses appropriate resources to retrieve information related to child passenger safety. Responds appropriately to legal and ethical issues related to the role of the Child Passenger Safety (CPS) tech. Obtains information from CPS resources in response to requests for information that is not readily available. Other necessary duties as needed to provide child passenger safety assistance.
- Monitors appropriate car seat use throughout Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend. Collaborates with appropriate people within the hospital to provide a comprehensive and current car seat discharge policy for Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend.
- Assists with staff education and standard work on units that use child safety seats. Works with the appropriate staff such as the Clinical Nurse Specialist, Nurse Managers, and others in assessing staff learning needs and how best to assist the staff to provide accurate information and resource identification. Oversee Angle Tolerance Testing Program for medically fragile neonates and assist in training of nurses performing this procedure.
- Coordinates Peace Health’s “Safe Rides for Safe Kids” program that provides an appropriate car seat when no other resources are available. Manages SH Foundation request for funding when needed. Monitors car seat usage and researches best products to use for the different populations served.
COMMUNITY RELATED FUNCTIONS:
This position focuses on community childhood injury prevention around the use of child safety seats. This position is responsible for
5. Coordinating the Community Car Seat Check Up Events. This includes:
- Recruiting techs and volunteers for staffing events, ensuring best practice standards.
- Design traffic flow and ensure safety.
- Review completed forms from the event, providing feedback as appropriate to Child Passenger Safety (CPS) technicians.
- Maintain supply inventory, including education packets for participants.
- Develop annual calendar of check-up events and help promote the events in the community.
- Other necessary duties as needed to provide for safe, efficient events in order to reach as many families as possible.
- Maintain community partnerships for determining the location of the events.
6. Coordinate and support the local techs in the area, including any PeaceHealth Child Passenger Safety (CPS) techs and those who work within the community
7. Develop weekly to biweekly fitting stations in order to mentor CPS techs and provide CPS services for the community.
8. Develop and maintain community partnerships around childhood passenger safety. Provide education at OB/GYN office, Family Practice, Pediatric clinics, Early Head Start, Head Start, Family Building Blocks, Preschools, early childhood partners. Assist with CPS safety efforts on behalf of PeaceHealth and provide community presentations as requested.
9. Keep statistics on Child Passenger Seat technician impact within the organization and community. Prepare a quarterly report on metrics determined to be integral to the program.
QUALIFICATIONS (required unless otherwise noted):
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Associate degree or higher preferred
EXPERIENCE / TRAINING:
- One year experience in performing the duties of a Child Passenger Seat technician preferred
- Demonstrated ability to do program coordination, outreach, and data collection
- Current National Child Passenger Safety Certification Training as a Child Passenger Safety Technician required
- Additional special needs car seat training preferred
- Valid State of Oregon driver’s license
- Able to pass a basic background check
- Ability to become a Senior Checker within one (1) year, but no later than two (2) years of filling the position required
- Apply for tech proxy status when eligible
- Consider becoming an Instructor through SafeKids to train and mentor techs in the community
Working-level knowledge of:
- The English language, including reading, writing and speaking English.
- Excellent communication skills with the public and staff.
- Able to work varied hours.
- Working-level knowledge of spoken Spanish language preferred, but not required.
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel and Word and have the ability to use the computer to complete online learning requirements for job-specific competencies, access online forms and policies, etc.
- Ability to work within a multidisciplinary team to provide excellent customer service to all clients and patients
SHMC-RB PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires active physical exertion up to 66% of the time
- Ability to lift objects weighing 50 lbs. or less.
- Work requires frequent exposure to minor cold, heat, poor ventilation, or sharp instruments; reasonably anticipated exposure to blood and body fluids once per month or more.
- Job duties frequently require intense concentration or attention to detail (34-65% of work time).
- Job duties may require use of additional PPE such as eye shield, respirator, and mask.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
- This position is specific to Sacred Heart Medical Center at Riverbend, though could include other locations in the future if this can be supported.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.