PeaceHealth is seeking a Lab Assistant - Inpatient Phlebotomy for a Part Time, Evening position. Hourly compensation starts at $16.89, more depending on experience. This is a 0.8 position, weekend work required. Hours scheduled will typically be 1345-2215. Caregivers new to the department will be scheduled full time for the first 3-4 months for training purposes. Occasionally could be scheduled to work an additional day.
Works collaboratively with all healthcare team members toward the best outcomes for the patient and the organization. May perform phlebotomy services, specimen collection/handling, utilize knowledge of department procedures and computerized Lab Information Systems (LIS), and support patients with information and direction utilizing laboratory services. Assists lab staff with delivering patient care, distributing lab results and reports, and operation of laboratory equipment.
- Prepares, delivers, and picks up items in accordance with health and safety regulations and laboratory policies to insure specimen integrity, quality patient care, and caregiver safety.
- Collects and labels specimens for requested testing, processes specimen according to established guidelines and completes documentation for the specimen.
- Performs data entry of patient demographics and tests ordered. Performs all paperwork, technical, and nontechnical procedures required to process and submit specimens.
- Receives, handles, sorts, processes, or packages specimens.
- Receives and makes telephone calls and uses computer terminal and reference guides to provide information and answer questions from clients and patients, regarding specimen requirements, test results and other client requests.
- Performs waived testing as assigned. Recognizes abnormal results and follows up as defined in standard operating procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- Phlebotomy training or experience may be required or preferred for some positions. See region specific notes.
- Prior clinical laboratory experience preferred.
- Valid driver's license for driving positions.
- Able to approach, communicate and positively interact with patients and health care professionals while performing their duties, frequently under stressful conditions.
- Able to work without supervision, but know when to consult with supervisory personnel for assistance in determining appropriate actions.
- Able to use the electronic laboratory information system. Must perform work activities in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Able to recognize the various levels of service (routine to critical) demanded of the laboratory and prioritize work and adjust working style to accommodate said demands.
- Able to prioritize effectively and manage multiple tasks at one time.
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
Lab Assistant-Phlebotomist, RiverBend Hospital
- Successful completion of a phlebotomy training program plus 6-months phlebotomy experience in a clinical setting or 1-year phlebotomy experience in a clinical setting required.
Lab Assistant – Phlebotomist
- Following established standards and practices, the Phlebotomist instructs patients in the procedure for collection of specimens, collects specimens and performs simple laboratory procedures.
Lab Assistant – Specimen Processor
- Receives, processes, and distributes specimens to technical departments. Prepares specimens and forms for testing at the laboratory and for transport to external reference laboratories.
- Must be able to occasionally (6 - 33%) lift up to 20 pounds. Must have the ability to tolerate walking frequently (34 - 66%) up to ten miles per day and standing frequently (34 - 66%) on a variety of surfaces including linoleum covered concrete floor. Must have the ability during phlebotomy procedures to frequently (34 - 66 %) bend and twist with loads less than ten pounds. Must have the ability during phlebotomy procedures to intermittently (1 - 5%) kneel and squat with loads under ten pounds. Employs fingering in manipulating blood draws, computer keyboards and writing instruments. Works indoors at clinical laboratory, medical office, and hospital settings. Continuous (67 - 100%) potential exposure to bio-hazardous materials and infectious diseases requires the use of personal protective equipment including but not limited to medical exam gloves. Intermittently (1 - 5%) works in isolation areas requiring observance of additional precautions including but not limited to the wearing of goggles, gowns and respirators. Occasionally (6 - 33%) works with laboratory reagents, disinfectants, and other chemicals. Must comply with fingernail policy and may not wear artificial nails at work
- Works in a clinical laboratory setting. Continuous (67 - 100% of the time) exposure to moderate noise level. Tasks involve potential for exposure to blood, body fluids containing blood, or other types of patient samples and the continuous (67 - 100%) use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required. The ability to frequently (34-66 %) stand, walk or sit is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) handling of small objects up to 10 pounds including lifting and carrying required. Occasional (6-33%) lifting and carrying of up to 20 pounds required. Intermittent (1 -5%) lifting of up to 35 pounds required. Frequent (34-66 %) use of clinical laboratory reagents and chemicals required. Must have good manual dexterity of one or both hands. Must be able to perform fine hand movements to manipulate samples, lab equipment and instruments, keyboards and other items. Requires good corrected vision, the ability to do near point, or close up, work at varying distances from the eye. Requires flexibility of various work assignments with frequent requests to move from one workstation to the next.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one opening on this posting.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.