PeaceHealth is seeking a Lab Assistant Lead - Inpatient Phlebotomy for a Full Time, Variable position. Hourly compensation starts at $18.95, more depending on experience. Requires a minimum of three years applicable work experience. This lead assignment will be mostly night shift; hours and workdays will vary to support workflow. Refer to job summary and essential functions in Caregiver Job Profile. Other duties as assigned.
Performs, monitors, and troubleshoots the more complex needs of the department. Coordinates the day-to-day functions for assigned area. Assists with ensuring that departmental goals are achieved, timelines met and service excellence provided in all aspects of work. Serves as subject matter expert.
- Assigns work; plans and manages priorities, provides technical assistance, oversees staff schedules, monitors quality of work, monitors team projects, mentors staff, provides constructive feedback, oversees staff training, ensures quality improvement, provides leadership feedback on staff performance, and assists with goal setting for the team.
- Collaborates with staff and/or other department leads/staff on how to improve processes to improve patient care, service, TAT, quality and to reduce cost.
- Participates in the interview, hiring, and employee performance review processes.
- Plays a leadership role in problem solving.
- Oversees quality control documentation and department training procedures and manuals.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred.
- Minimum of three years applicable work experience is required.
- Valid driver's license for driving positions.
- Requires superior customer service skills and the ability to communicate clearly and listen effectively.
- Proficiency check off list completed and have passed appropriate exams for Lab Assistant.
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES:
Lab Assistant – Phlebotomist
- Following established standards and practices, the Phlebotomist instructs patients in the procedure for collection of specimens, collects specimens and performs simple laboratory procedures.
Lab Assistant – Specimen Processor
- Receives, processes, and distributes specimens to technical departments. Prepares specimens and forms for testing at the laboratory and for transport to external reference laboratories.
- Requires the ability to do Alpha/numeric data entry at a rate of 6,200 KPH or greater at RBA Campus.
- Must be able to occasionally (6 - 33%) lift up to 20 pounds.
- Must have the ability to tolerate walking frequently (34 - 66%) up to ten miles per day and standing frequently (34 - 66%) on a variety of surfaces including linoleum covered concrete floor.
- Must have the ability during phlebotomy procedures to frequently (34 - 66 %) bend and twist with loads less than ten pounds.
- Must have the ability during phlebotomy procedures to intermittently (1 - 5%) kneel and squat with loads under ten pounds.
- fingering in manipulating blood draws, computer keyboards and writing instruments.
- Works indoors at clinical laboratory, medical office, and hospital settings.
- Continuous (67 - 100%) potential exposure to bio-hazardous materials and infectious diseases requires the use of personal protective equipment including but not limited to medical exam gloves.
- Intermittently (1 - 5%) works in isolation areas requiring observance of additional precautions including but not limited to the wearing of goggles, gowns and respirators.
- Occasionally (6 - 33%) works with laboratory reagents, disinfectants, and other chemicals.
- Must comply with fingernail policy and may not wear artificial nails at work.
- Works in a clinical laboratory setting.
- Continuous (67 - 100% of the time) exposure to moderate noise level.
- Tasks involve potential for exposure to blood, body fluids containing blood, or other types of patient samples and the continuous (67 - 100%) use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required.
- The ability to frequently (34-66 %) stand, walk or sit is required.
- Continuous (67 - 100%) handling of small objects up to 10 pounds including lifting and carrying required.
- Occasional (6-33%) lifting and carrying of up to 20 pounds required.
- Intermittent (1 -5%) lifting of up to 35 pounds required.
- Frequent (34-66 %) use of clinical laboratory reagents and chemicals required.
- Must have good manual dexterity of one or both hands.
- Must be able to perform fine hand movements to manipulate samples, lab equipment and instruments, keyboards and other items.
- Requires good corrected vision, the ability to do near point, or close up, work at varying distances from the eye.
- Requires flexibility of various work assignments with frequent requests to move from one workstation to the next.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one opening on this posting.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.