Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
PeaceHealth is seeking a Mental Health Technician - Psychiatric Unit for a Part Time, Day position. Hourly compensation starts at $17.13, more depending on experience.
Participates with the nursing care team in providing quality, compassionate patient care with an emphasis on the care of the psychiatric patient.
- Participate in the care, observation, and documentation of all psychiatric patients. This may include assisting with daily living activities; taking vital signs; collecting routine specimens; assisting with dressing; ambulating patients; setting up and assisting with procedures; may include attending and participating in group therapy.
- Assisting nursing staff with seclusion and/or restraint. Observation of secluded or restrained patients.
- If assigned to the Emergency Department may assist RN with receiving psychiatric patients by ambulance or law enforcement and triaging these patients. Also may assist with transporting patients.
- Assist in keeping patient care areas and equipment clean.
- May be responsible for maintaining unit supplies by stocking patient rooms and supply areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of a Certified Nursing Assistant Acute Care program or EMT program if assigned to Emergency Department.
- College coursework in Psychology or other health related field preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply age specific principles of growth and development and life stages to meet each patient’s needs.
- Inpatient Psychiatric Unit: One year of recent experience in an acute care psychiatric facility or equivalent recent experience caring for or managing individuals with behavioral health issues in a psychiatric setting, or 20 shifts or more floating to the inpatient psychiatric unit as a CNA.
Inpatient Psychiatric Unit:
- Current Certified Nursing Assistant certification required.(If practicing in Oregon must have CNA II Registration.)
- Crisis Intervention Certification required within 3 months of hire.
- Current BLS (Basic Life Support) certification required at date of hire.
- Ability to apply problem solving process
- Good time management skills
- Demonstrated skill with psychiatric patients
- Demonstrated competence with patient de-escalation, restraint and seclusion
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
Oregon West Network – Sacred Heart Medical Center: If working in either the Inpatient Psych Unit or the Emergency Department:
- Graduate of a Certified Nursing Assistant Acute Care Program or EMT Program required.
- Current CNA II certification or minimum of EMT-Basic certification required.
Oregon West Network – SHMC Inpatient Psychiatry Unit: additional Essential Functions
- Being present with the patients in order to interact, observe, and report to the direct care or Charge Nurse Patient and milieu status.
- Responsible for laundering and tracking patient’s clothing as needed; reporting to Social Work patient items needed for discharge.
UNIVERSITY DISTRICT-PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires normal amounts of physical effort at least 66% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 30 lbs. or less.
- Work is performed under normal working conditions with adequate lighting and ventilation.
- Reasonably anticipated exposure to blood and body fluids.
- Job duties frequently require intense concentration and attention to detail (34-65% of work time).
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one opening on this posting.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.