Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
PeaceHealth is seeking a Lab Assistant Technical for a Full Time, Variable position. Hourly compensation starts at $19.43, more depending on experience.
Performs laboratory testing and support services across the major areas of the laboratory. Performs moderate to high complexity laboratory procedures, as defined by CLIA, according to standard operating procedures. This testing requires the limited exercise of independent judgment and interpretation and is performed under the supervision of a medical laboratory technician, medical technologist, technical specialist, or department supervisor.
- Under the directions of a qualified medical technologist or Medical Laboratory Technician, the technician may perform a variety of the following job functions:
- Perform phlebotomy and specimen processing as necessary.
- Follows established procedures for collecting and processing biological specimens for analysis.
- Performs high, moderately complex analytical tests, waived tests and/or procedures as assigned. Recognizes abnormal results and follows up as defined in standard operating procedures.
- Operates instruments as assigned. Recognizes equipment malfunctions and notifies appropriate technical personnel.
- Performs routine quality control and maintains accurate records. Recognizes out-of-control results and notifies technical personnel.
- Recognizes factors that affect measurements and results and takes appropriate action according to predetermined protocols.
- Communicates information such as test results, normal range, and specimen requirements to authorized sources.
- Demonstrates laboratory technical skills to new caregivers and students.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Associates or Bachelor of Science degree preferred.
- May require up to an Associates of Science degree for positions with high complexity testing requirements.
- Clinical Laboratory experience preferred.
- Phlebotomy training or experience required for all critical access locations. (See community specific notes.)
- For UGMC or PIMC positions must obtain MA-P license from the WA State DOH within 3 months of hire.
- A valid drivers license is necessary for most locations
- Working knowledge of specimen collection, preparation, and test requirements and factors affecting test interpretation in responding to inquiries.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of computer systems such as Microsoft Windows, and Microsoft Office programs.
- Mathematical ability to calculate fractions, percentages, ratios, proportion measurements and apply practical algebra.
- General understanding of laboratory equipment to calibrate and do minor repairs.
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
Peace Island Medical Center:
- Six months phlebotomy experience required or proof of completion of Phlebotomy training in a Community College or training program.
- Caregiver will be asked to demonstrate your phlebotomy skill.
- Shares on-call duties, approximately 33% time
- Must live on San Juan Island (Friday Harbor) to ensure incumbent is within 30 minutes of the hospital
- Works in a clinical laboratory or hospital setting. Intermittently (1-5% of the time) works in other office, client and conference facility environments.
- Continuous (67 - 100%) exposure to moderate noise level.
- The ability to frequently (34-66 %) stand, walk or sit is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) handling of small objects up to 10 pounds including lifting and carrying is required. Intermittent (1-5%) lifting and carrying of up to 45 pounds is required. Must have good manual dexterity of both hands and employ fine hand movements to continuously (67 - 100%) manipulate instruments, computer terminal keyboards and other items.
- Good corrected vision and the ability to do near point work at varying distances from the eye is required. The ability to identify and distinguish colors is required.
- Tasks involve potential for exposure to blood or body fluids containing blood, or other potentially infectious materials, and the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) is required. Continuous (67 - 100%) use of clinical laboratory reagents and chemicals is required.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.