PeaceHealth is seeking a Manager Labor Relations for a Full Time, Day position.
Manages the coordination of the labor relations activities of the Labor COE for areas of responsibility. Oversight includes responsibility for negotiation and labor management results including costs, partnering with operations, and management of union relationships. Responsible for operational performance, quality, service environment and regulatory compliance. Partners with Labor Relations Director, HRPO, and Operational leaders in the development of priorities and objectives and determines how to use resources to meet schedules and goals. Under the direction of the System Director of Human Resources, manages and supports the labor relations program at PeaceHealth. Program activities include: negotiation of collective bargaining agreements; contract administration and interpretation; and, guidance/coordination of related management activities consistent with the mission of the health system. The Labor Relations Manager oversees key areas of responsibilities such as an assigned geographic area or identified union relationships. Serves as a key contributor to development and maintenance of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Administers and manages administration of labor contracts; provides interpretation of labor contracts to managers and HR staff and oversees processes for review and resolution of employee grievances.
- Advises managers and employees on sensitive labor and employee relations matters, including grievance and arbitration procedures, performance issues and disciplinary actions; advises and assists managers in identifying employee relations issues and determining appropriate course of action.
- Serves as the chief negotiator in contract negotiations. Uses appropriate negotiation strategies to develop bargaining goals and negotiate contracts consistent with the mission, values, organizational and operational goals and objectives.
- Manages the contract relationships and provides guidance to management, HR and Labor COE staff by contract interpretation, investigation advice on a full range of employee relations matters including informal and formal grievances, development of performance management plans, disciplinary issues, employee assistance referrals, and reduction in force issues.
- Facilitates on-going communication and working relationships with employee representative organizations including coordination and participation in joint labor-management committees.
- Develops and recommends to the Director of Human Resources policies and procedures concerning employee relations and personnel practices.
- Participates in the development and delivery of management training programs designed to advance the human resources.
- Provides mentorship and support of Labor and HR partners in collaboration with Director of Labor Relations
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required or a combination of education and professional experience that provides the incumbent with the requisite knowledge, skills and ability to successfully perform the job.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible, professional experience in collective bargaining and labor relations activities experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of leadership experience required.
- Experience in leading contract administration, grievance processing, performance management and disciplinary activities, as well as facilitating on-going communication and working relationships with employee representative organizations and other hospital stakeholders.
- Ability to deliver financial results for areas of accountability.
- Knowledge of Principles and practices of employee and labor relations, collective bargaining and employment laws; Human Resources theories, practices and techniques; Supervisory principles.
- Knowledge of Program development and administration principles and practices.
- Practical application of collective bargaining and employment laws;
- Effective written and oral communications, listening, presentation, group facilitation; influencing and negotiations;
- Skilled in application of processes for influencing performance management;
- Effective use of mediation and conflict resolution techniques;
- Skilled in computerized systems for word processing, spreadsheet applications and data bases to retrieve and analyze data and/or create reports;
- Coordinating activities with other internal departments and/or external agencies;
- Effective project and time management.
- Ability to reconcile labor relations issues in the context of both existing labor agreements and desired future states of labor and employee relations.
- Ability to work with diverse academic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of caregivers and the communities we serve.
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects concurrently.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.