PeaceHealth is seeking a RN Charge Nurse - Medical for a Full Time, Day position. Hourly compensation starts at $37.11, more depending on experience.
The Charge Nurse is a frontline leader who works under the direction of the Manager/Director. The Charge Nurse assists the Manager/Director in coordinating unit activities which assure safe and clinically effective patient care. The Charge Nurse supports and directs staff members in providing compassionate care and services to patients and families from diverse ethnic and social groups. Independent decision-making is expected in the execution of routine duties.
- Coordinate patient care by shift and department.
- Supervision and assessment of clinical practice. Direct and delegate to other team members.
- Coach for performance to achieve individual and organizational goals; including orientation, competencies and evaluations.
- Develop the departmental team and collaborative relationships to achieve expected outcomes.
- Serve as a clinical and resource expert for the department.
- Articulate shift/team operational issues to management as appropriate.
- Appropriate stewardship of resources.
- Adapts decision-making style to the situation and level of authority for achieving an optimal outcome including using collaborative decision making and effective communication skills.
- Identify and apply opportunities for clinical practice improvement and support them with staff.
- Ensure professional effectiveness through education and professional development.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- BSN preferred.
- Specialty certification preferred.
- Minimum of two years acute care nursing experience required.
- Three years of acute care nursing strongly preferred.
- One-year experience as a designated charge nurse or other supervisory position preferred. Demonstrates preceptor and monitoring skills preferred.
- Satisfactory performance in staff nurse classification (minimum three years) required. Demonstrates effective leadership abilities. Demonstrates ability to promote positive interpersonal relationships and customer-focused work environment. Demonstrates the ability to create high staff morale. Capable of working both ICU and Med/Surg.
- Demonstrated leadership skills required.
- Facilitation skills preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and ability to apply age specific principles of growth and development and life stages to meet each patient’s needs.
- Current Registered Nurse licensure in the state in which nurse will be practicing required.
- Current ACLS/BLS certification required.
- Telemetry proficient.
- 12 Lead EKG Basics required.
- Demonstrated ability to promote positive interpersonal relationships and patient/family centered work environment
- Consistently demonstrates Service Excellence behaviors with patients, families and colleagues.
- Able to support and interpret medical center’s philosophy, policies and procedures
- Ability to balance information regarding patient needs, staff needs, and unit needs in decision making
- Demonstrated interest in staff development
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office applications
KETCHIKAN PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS:
- Work requires moderate physical exertion from 34 to 65% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 50 lbs. or less.
- Work requires frequent exposure to minor cold, heat, poor ventilation or sharp instruments. Reasonably anticipated exposure to blood and body fluids once per month or more. Requires the use of a Powered Air Purifying System (PAPR).
- Duties require the ability to concentrate or pay close attention to detail for more than 66% of the work time.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one opening on this posting.
Ketchikan, Alaska is truly the beginning of the last frontier. Set at the southernmost entrance to Alaska's famed Inside Passage—a network of waterways that snake through some of the most jaw-droppingly beautiful wilderness in the world—Ketchikan is best known for feisty salmon, idyllic scenery, hunting, and an incredibly rich Alaska Native culture.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.