PeaceHealth is seeking a Patient Coordinator - Bariatric Center for a Full Time, 1.00 FTE, Day position. Hourly compensation starts at $19.37, more depending on experience.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
Responsible for the coordination of care for patients who are seeking bariatric surgery. Coordinates, supports, and tracks the pre-operative plan of care for each patient, working collaboratively with other healthcare team members. Receives, processes, and documents referrals and prior authorization requests related to bariatric surgery. Provides customer service and support for the clinical areas and patients for referrals and prior authorizations (for both pre-op visits and bariatric surgeries).
- Screens patients’ eligibility for bariatric surgery program, including review of medical criteria and insurance coverage. Oversees the data entry and completion of referral forms/notifications. Obtains insurance preauthorization for patients (and reauthorization of additional treatment when appropriate) for all pre-operative visits. Ensures documentation requirements of insurance carriers are met and entered into electronic health record (EHR).
- Serves as the primary point of contact for the bariatric team and patient regarding the patients’ progress in the program. Monitors and follows up on the pre-operative plan of care. Communicates patients’ progress in the bariatric surgery program to the interdisciplinary team. Efficiently manages correspondence with patients, providers, specialists, and insurance companies. Communicates with patients and other healthcare providers to obtain medical records and testing results required for surgery. Documents pertinent pre-operative testing results in EHR and/or care coordination tool. Facilitates weekly multidisciplinary team review to determine patient readiness for surgery. Ensures concise patient summaries are in place and a clear plan of care has been identified.
- Consults with new patients to review both program and insurance requirements for bariatric surgery, including estimated out-of-pocket expenses. Provide the patient with education materials for the bariatric surgery program and their process. Provide verbal and written notification of patient rights and responsibilities.
- Maintains and applies current knowledge of various insurance plans’ criteria for bariatric surgery and updates program materials accordingly. Works in collaboration with Patient Financial Services to improve the revenue cycle process.
- Oversees the data entry into patient coordination tool.
- Creates surgery preauthorization packet and remits to appropriate insurance carrier, ensuring preauthorization packet is complete with all documents required for authorization. Once insurance preauthorization for surgery is obtained, enter authorization number into EHR.
- Ensures consistent and appropriate communication with patients, physicians, specialists, and insurance companies in order to maintain quality care and promote patient satisfaction. Documents pertinent information in EHR. Manages schedules per region process (see community/location specific notes)
- Coordinates the flow of patients through the bariatric surgery program, including pre-surgical preparation. Coordinates and facilitates bariatric information sessions. Determines patients’ readiness for surgery based on surgical requirements, program requirements, and insurance company requirements. Facilitate the ordering of additional pre-operative labs or testing as necessary. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Manages schedules per region process (see community/location specific notes)
- Maintains care coordination to ensure timely progression of patients throughout the pre-surgical program. Assures patients receive appropriate and timely services.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Two years college in related field or accredited business school preferred.
- Minimum of two years in a lead role in a clinical or office setting preferred.
- Direct patient care background preferred.
- Need to demonstrate expertise in the management of workflow as well as experience working with medical insurance and prior authorizations.
- Must have cooperative working, leadership and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide variety of patients, families, and staff.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated insight into the roles and responsibilities of the interdisciplinary team members.
- Flexible and able to function independently.
- Proficient computer skills including MS Office applications and other applicable software.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate others and promote positive interpersonal relationships in a patient and family centered work environment.
- Ability to demonstrate a courteous, caring and understanding attitude toward patients, families, co-workers, volunteers, visitors, and physicians.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and experiences.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
REGION/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
Oregon West Network:
- Use of the patient coordination software for monitoring patient progress through the program; use of the online surgical data exchange to communicate scheduled surgeries with the hospital.
- Manages bariatric surgery scheduling by collaborating with surgery clinic team. Ensures scheduled surgeries are communicated with the hospital and anesthesia departments.
PHMG PHYSICAL/COGNITIVE REQUIREMENTS
Work requires normal amounts of physical effort up to 33% of the time.
Duties require the ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail (more than 65% of work time).
Work is performed under normal working conditions with adequate lighting and ventilation.
Ability to lift objects weighing 50 lbs. or less.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.