PeaceHealth is seeking a Patient Account Specialist for a Full Time, 1.00 FTE, Day position. Hourly compensation starts at $17.61, more depending on experience.
This position will be performed fully remote. If telecommuting, PeaceHealth will provide the caregiver with necessary computer equipment. It is the responsibility of the caregiver to provide Internet access.
Must reside in Washington, Oregon or Alaska.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
Responsible for working in a call center with patients and/or authorized designees to address payment options, provide insurance setup options and complete related paperwork for both Hospital and Clinic services. Establish and monitor payment arrangements with patients using guidelines established under the collection policy; resolve patient concerns and third party issues to achieve a zero balance account. This position ensures acceptable cash flow and appropriate Days in Accounts Receivable via timely follow-up and resolution of balances owed.
- Identify uninsured or underinsured patients for eligibility for financial assistance through this organization or through government or private programs.
- Perform work in accordance with regulatory requirements, policies/procedures and departmental standards in regards to HIPAA and other government requirements. Ensure that proper billing procedures and privacy guidelines are implemented and carried out.
- Responsible for maintaining daily account, follow-up work lists within department while maintaining organization’s productivity standards.
- Assist patients with the application process for outreach programs and our obligations to maintain certifications as required by the state(s) and/or contractual obligations.
- Respond to customer inquiries in accordance with state and federal laws or applicable internal policies. This response may include charge estimates, clarifying billing practices, correctness of billing and options for resolving private pay balances.
- Communicate appropriately with all customers to include, updating insurance, and routing accounts to appropriate service areas when needed. Handle a high volume of inbound and outbound calls. May leverage an auto dialer system.
- Work directly with responsible party to resolve outstanding patient account activities. Maximize reimbursement through effective collection practices. May receive and post patient payments over the phone, or electronically. Process refund requests as appropriate.
- Review accounts for activities and completeness of available data as specified and/or outlined by the established financial procedures and processes prior to being assigned to collection.
- Obtain information to secure appropriate payment of account by working with insurance companies, government agencies, other departments, providers' offices, attorneys' offices, patients and any other parties as necessary.
- Communicate all necessary requirements needed to support third party and government billing, including worker’s compensation.
- Perform data entry, maintain customer databases and document all calls. Assists customers with various patient account-related questions by telephone and through written correspondence. Completes adjustments, account notes, balance transfers, claim disposition and other necessary transaction to facilitate appropriate computer system activity.
- Completes all necessary research, account assignment, etc. for accounts assigned to collection agency; or necessary court documents for patient bankruptcies and probate.
- May perform skip tracing on patients with return mail; May perform insurance verification. May be responsible to monitor and negotiate settlements with third parties
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- College coursework in accounting, business, medical terminology, communication and social work preferred.
- Minimum of one year experience in collections, customer service, billing or related medical field preferred.
- Familiarity with government, commercial and third-party billing preferred.
- Proficient use of computers including MS Office applications
- Proficiency with 10-key calculators alphanumeric data entry skills are required
- Working knowledge of standard office equipment
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written
- Ability to work both independently and interdependently with staff and team members with limited supervision
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Excellent customer service skills are required
- Work requires fairly light physical exertion from up to 65% of the time.
- Ability to lift objects weighing 30 lbs. or less.
- Work is performed under normal working conditions with adequate lighting and ventilation.
- Job duties frequently require intense concentration and attention to detail (up to 65% of work time).
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state or federal laws.