PeaceHealth is seeking a Lab Assistant - Inpatient Phlebotomy for a Per Diem/Relief, 0.00 FTE, Variable position. Hourly compensation starts at $18.52, more depending on experience.
Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 including 2 doses of a 2-dose series or 1 dose of a 1-dose series plus 14 days beyond the final dose prior to start date.
Works collaboratively with all healthcare team members toward the best outcomes for the patient and the organization. Performs phlebotomy services, specimen collection/handling, utilize knowledge of department procedures and computerized Lab Information Systems (LIS), and support patients with information and direction utilizing laboratory services. Assists lab staff with delivering patient care.
- Perform venipuncture and capillary collection on patients of all ages.
- Performs patient identification, collects and labels specimens for requested testing, processes specimen according to established guidelines and completes documentation for the specimen.
- Adheres to all isolation guidelines and procedures
- Utilizes LIS to perform technical and non-technical procedures required to collect, process, and submit specimens.
- Receives and makes telephone calls and uses computer terminal and reference guides to provide information regarding specimen requirements and other clinical requests
- Performs Point of Care testing as assigned. Recognizes abnormal results and follows up as defined in standard operating procedures
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred
- Phlebotomy training required. Phlebotomy experience preferred
- WA State: Medical Assistant – Phlebotomy license is required before onboarding.
- Able to approach, communicate and positively interact with patients and health care professionals while performing their duties, frequently under stressful conditions.
- Able to work without supervision but know when to consult with supervisory personnel for assistance in determining appropriate actions.
- Able to use the electronic laboratory information system. Must perform work activities in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Able to recognize the various levels of service (routine to critical) demanded of the laboratory and prioritize work and adjust working style to accommodate said demands.
- Able to prioritize effectively and manage multiple tasks at one time.
COMMUNITY/LOCATION SPECIFIC NOTES
Washington State License/Certification requirements:
- WA State: Medical Assistant – Phlebotomy Certification is either required at time of hire or the application must be submitted within 14 days of hire with the active credential in place within 120 days of hire.
- Must be able to occasionally (6 - 33%) lift up to 20 pounds.
- Must have the ability to tolerate walking frequently (34 - 66%) up to ten miles per day and standing frequently (34 - 66%) on a variety of surfaces including linoleum covered concrete floor.
- Must have the ability during phlebotomy procedures to frequently (34 - 66 %) bend and twist with loads less than ten pounds.
- Must have the ability during phlebotomy procedures to intermittently (1 - 5%) kneel and squat with loads under ten pounds.
- Employs fingering in manipulating blood draws, computer keyboards and writing instruments. Works indoors at clinical laboratory, medical office, and hospital settings.
- Continuous (67 - 100%) potential exposure to bio-hazardous materials and infectious diseases requires the use of personal protective equipment including but not limited to medical exam gloves.
- Intermittently (1 - 5%) works in isolation areas requiring observance of additional precautions including but not limited to the wearing of goggles, gowns and respirators.
- Occasionally (6 - 33%) works with laboratory reagents, disinfectants, and other chemicals.
- Must comply with fingernail policy and may not wear artificial nails at work.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining agreement. There may be more than one opening on this posting.
See how PeaceHealth is committed to Inclusivity, Respect for Diversity and Cultural Humility.
For full consideration of your skills and abilities, please attach a current resume with your application. EEO Affirmative Action Employer/Vets/Disabled in accordance with applicable local, state, or federal laws.